Greetings fellow imagination accomplices!
Our book on imagination in leadership is ready for pre-order! (Publication date: March 24, 2023).
Cultivating Imagination in Leadership: Transforming Schools and Communities provides a theoretical understanding of how imagination contributes to effective leadership, as well as practical tools all educational leaders can employ to cultivate their imaginations and the imaginations of others in their communities. To support these goals, book chapters offer multiple perspectives on what imagination is, why it is essential for educational leaders, and how it can be developed.
Contributions by leadership scholars and school-based leaders are organized around three themes: exploring possibilities, poetics of memory, and imagination’s role in social justice and equity. Each section opens with a leadership story that shows how a school leader developed and used imagination to create solutions to real problems. Contributors to this volume were invited to read each other’s work and share their questions and thoughts. This work can now be used by individuals or within formal or informal learning communities to expand, deepen, and apply concepts.
- Brings together empirical and conceptual research on imagination’s varied roles in educational leadership.
- Provides practical strategies and implementable techniques for cultivating leadership imagination.
- Demonstrates what cognitive tools all leaders can use to deepen their understanding of issues, to emotionally and imaginatively engage their school communities, and to support equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Offers easy-to-use activities and guidelines for applying imagination to key leadership processes and practices.
- Includes “Cultivating Curiosity, Conversation, and Imagination” sections at the end of chapters to stimulate individual reflection and collaborative discussion.
Dedicated to Kieran Egan, this book applies the tools of Imaginative Education to the realm of leadership education and practice. It will help current and future leaders employ imagination to make sense of and address the day-to-day challenges they encounter. (See the Table of Contents and get more information from Teachers College Press)
Join us for a professional learning series on Cultivating Imagination in Leadership: Transforming Schools and Communities in the Spring of 2023. Details to follow–stay tuned! (Subscribe so you don’t miss that information).
Gillian Judson & Meaghan Dougherty
Acknowledgement: This project was financially supported by the Centre for Imagination in Research, Culture, and Education (CIRCE) and the Centre for the Study of Educational Leadership and Policy (CSELP).